Chicago Lightning

Mugsy's Safehouse

After a short drive and a much longer walk, Mugsy leads our stalwart trio into a dense tenement complex, down a back alley, and up a rickety staircase. Azog carries two large paper bags that, when he received them, were filled with goods from a local Italian bakery and meat shop that still happened to be open at this hour. Each of our champions of good has had opportunity to snack on at least one small calzone, but it’s just enough to taunt them with the anticipation of the spread to come.

Comments

The apartment is small, beyond spartan and barely fits the trio’s equipment, food and bodies. The plaster is patchy, the paper peeling in places and barely any furniture. “Its not much boys and I never really anticipated housing more than myself here. It’ll do us for the night.”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

Azog raises the ironing board and uses the surface to begin slicing bread and salami for sandwiches.

“Youse guys want mustard?”

An eyeblink later there are three towering sandwiches that look like something Chic Young might draw in the Sunday funnies.*

  • Anachronism. Blondie wouldn’t appear until 1930.
Mugsy's Safehouse
 

Jamison blinks. “Yeah. God, it’ll be good to sit down and have a few bites. This place solid, Mugsy? Is there a phone? I feel like it’s been days since I let Ruby know I was still with the living.”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“No phone. I just use it to crash and maintain a low profile.”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

Azog devours his sandwich and washes it down with a quart of milk.

“Best you don’t contact Ruby for a few more days. Like as not Detective Trask followed our trail there and is watching the place.

“I hate not knowing what’s going on at the Salvation Army, but we might just be getting our friends into more trouble by hanging around there. I feel nervous with you-know-who [i.e. Marcum ] poking about. Maybe we should sleep in shifts.”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

Jamison listens to Azog. He grunts his assent, and stretches.

“Wake me for my watch, or whatever.” Having ate 2/3rds of the sandwich, he drops his Fedora over his eyes, sits on the couch, and dozes off.

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

Azog eats the rest of Jamison’s sandwich and props himself on a broken barstool, facing the door.

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“I’ll take second shift.”. Mugsy says as he crashes on the bed.

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

Azog douses the lights and pulls the shades. Though he keeps a good watch, he does not abstain from snacking throughout. He opens a jar of Vienna sausages and another jar of pickles.

He will wake Mugsy at two o’clock if there is no interruption.

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

GM:

Actually, Azog dozes off before 2AM. It has been an exhausting couple of days, and he just can’t keep his eyes open.

The night passes uneventfully.

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

At daybreak, Azog wakes up at a start with his hand literally in an empty pickle jar. He panics for a moment, realizing that he has failed in his duty as watchman. But it seems no harm came of it.

After a moment’s hesitation he rouses the others.

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“Mmmm?” Jamison rouses easily, pulling his hat back on his head and standing. He makes sure his hat is cocked just so, and looks around.

“You took the entire night, huh, kid? Good on you. We’ll keep you out of the next night’s rotation,” Jamison says with a wink.

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“Alright boys. Time to eat up and then get us a vehicle.”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

Mugsy has barely finished the sentence and Azog is already frying sausages in a pan of grease. In a saucepan he is boiling water and adding Quaker Rolled Oats.

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“Jamison, you have the papers and names we’re gonna need down at the motor pool?”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“Not really, no.” Jamison tugs at his tie. “Listen, I know how to req a public car. I know what forms to use, and who to talk to, and all that jazz. I can get you to the building, and all that. But I can’t go in, because I might get recognized, and it’s been years since I’ve done it, so I don’t know who does it now. I do know that, most of the time, they don’t even really look at the papers, unless you give them reason to. It’s actually pretty lax. I mean, who even knows where to go to get a car like that, unless they’re supposed to, you know?”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“Thats what I’m counting on.” Mugsy smiles.

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

GM:

Go ahead and use this space to plan as much as you guys want, ask me for info, etc.

Once you’re ready, tell me where you’re going, and we’ll Scene Exeunt.

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“Whats the likelihood of us getting some req forms?” Mugsy asks.

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“Well, they’re obviously not for the John Qs out there, so they’ll be in secured spaces. But they’re usually not too carefully guarded, you know? Find a part of the government that is big enough to use cars, but not so big that they can budget their own. The Vehicle Registry, the oversight for the docks, the department of labor, department of education, that kinda thing.”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“What about just coming up with reasonable facsimiles?”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

GM:

LF, gimme a 2d6+2 (past) roll.

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

Roll(2d6)2:
2,2,
2
Total:6

Ow.

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

GM:

Jamison doesn’t really remember much of the drudgework from his days as a prosecutor. As a man of priveledge, he always had underlings to take care of that for him. Thus, no ida what the forms would look like.

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“I don’t expect you to have it memorized, for goodness sake! From whom could we procure one?”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“He awready said it: various gummint outfits. Port Authority or Ag. Department or somesuch. They won’t guard their carbon papers all that well. We can probably pinch from somebody’s desk.” Azog finishes his oatmeal and leaves the spoon in his mouth while thinking.

“Maybe a public utility, like the Waterworks or Power and Light? Maybe County Hall? Maybe the Public Libary? (I ain’t never been in there.)

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“Definitely the public utilities. That way, they get to cost to itemize on their yearly budgets. Probably not County Hall, though; they’d save money and time by having their own cars.” Jamison thinks for a second.

“Port Authority might be the best place to go. They’re notoriously slack on keeping their paperwork, and corrupt as the day is long. Cars regularly go missing for days, but then they get returned, washed and waxed. At the precinct, it was a joke. They’re clearly connected to a number of shady organizations. We’d send the fresh academy recruits after the stolen cars to see how long it took them to figure out what was going on. It was a test, see, to see how savvy they were.”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“Huh. We was going to get a Port Authority vehicle to go inspect the Labrador. But now we need to get the paperwork from the Port Authority to do it. Maybe we could just swipe the car and leave the papers. A little cash to make ’em look the other way.” Azog nods, clearly pleased with himself.

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

[RPing a slow thinker here. Also in real life.]

“Wait, did you say public school? Boy, I know the inside of the Principal’s Office at my grade school better than anyplace! When he kicked me out for bein’ a no-goodnik, he said to come back when I’s ready to learn. That was years ago. Maybe I could talk my way back into the place and say I was reformed. Hey, I really was reformed! That’ll make stealing the papers even easier.”

Azog is clearly on a roll. He will continue to spout half-baked ideas until interrupted.

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“Or maybe,” he continues, “we don’t need no official car at all. We just get a reg’lar car and get some official tags for it, either bribed or stole.”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

Jamison’s head snaps up, surprised at the suddenly cogent thought amidst all the palaver.

“Hold on! That should actually work, you know? Steal the tags! Hot damn, Azog! That’s using the old noodle!”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“Except that means stealing two things, the tags and the auto. We could just get both in the same place. If you’re right and port authority cars disappear all the time, we could just show up, make off with one and then bring it back all shined up with not too many worries.”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“True, but we could buy the car outright. Then we just follow one of theirs as it leaves the motor pool, wait for it to idle, then swipe the tags right off the car and get away clean.

“Otherwise we got to go into the motor pool itself and it’s already daylight. We could get the whole city police on us if somebody raises the alarm.”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“What is this, a charity? How are we supposed to show any profit from this endeavor if we keep blowing money in $500 chunks? How much you think we have left? If you can get someone to trade your pocket watch for a car, by all means go ahead. Besides, they can trace cars you own. All the more reason to ‘borrow’ one in proper manner, as Black Bag has mentioned and return it when done.”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“Mmm, Okay. Between my thieving skills and your lying skills I bet we could wrangle up a car. What do you say, Black Bag?”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“I say we go get ourselves a car, is what,” Jamison says, smirking.

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“We know we’re going to wrangle up a car, the question is in what way?”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“The way we just said. Let’s go to the motor pool and have a look. Maybe there’s a guy to bribe, or to hoodwink. We won’t know until we see for ourselves.”

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

“The Motor Pool it is.”

[scene exeunt?]

Mugsy's Safehouse
 

GM:

Scene Exeunt.

Everyone roll 1d6-1 and heal that many Wound Ranks

Mugsy's Safehouse
MadDogMaddux

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.